Goals & Milestones
Short term and long term goals :
- 1. Introduction of more specializations in the existing M.Tech(IC Technology) program covering Technology, Physics and Engineering so that students can be trained in emerging interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary areas.
- 2. Establishment of a full-fledged microfabrication / nanofabrication facility by acquiring the remaining equipment for dry etching, deposition etc.,
- 3. Establishing a chip design centre of excellence where chip design, modeling and simulation leading to IC prototyping, test and measurement of integrated circuits and systems is carried out by using EDA software tools such as Cadence, Synopsys, Coventor, ADS, Mentor Graphics etc.,
- 4. Design, assembly and testing at (i) Board/Subsystem and (ii) System Integration
- 5. To attract faculty (nationally and internationally) with a varied range of disciplines / specializations considering the nature of the subject.
- 6. To attract students from across the world with particular emphasis on the less endoed countries of the SAARC region, Middle east and Africa.
- 7. The main objective will be to create and develop a world class multi disciplinary research environment, supported by strong research funding and industry collaborations in the following research areas: a. Mixed Signal, Analog, Digital and RF Integrated Circuits and System Design.
b. Novel Device Technologies.
c. System Design/ Embedded system design.
d. Sensors and Sensor Materials
e. Integrated Microwave devices and circuits
g. Bio-inspired electronic systems
h. Nanodevices based on nanowires, nanotubes etc.
In summary, the centre will be a multi-disciplinary hub of excellence that aims to attract talent from a wide range of fields to enable establishment of a truly world-class centre for research in Electronics Science and Technology.
1. In 2 years: (A) Setting up of Design, fabrication, test-measurement laboratories: Example: Establishing a cleanroom based micro/ nanofabrication facility for the fabrication of materials and devices. (B) Establishing a chip design center of excellence for prototyping and product development.
2. In 5 years: top 500; (A) Industry ready IP for technology transfer and licensing (B) Development of sensor technologies for food security, environment, health, water quality and chemical and biological molecules of strategic importance. Initiate work on circuit and system development ready for technology transfer. (C)Patent filing on IoT 5G enabled devices
3. In 10 years: a clutch of spin-off companies (at least 5) and Startups in the areas of chip design and integrated system development
4. In 15 years : to expand and make activities more comprehensive for greater societal impact and to be a leading research group in the areas of chip design, IoT based product development among the top 25 in the world.